I have heard that 4 is the age when children begin to ask "Why". Now I can confirm that is true, at least for Mia. Here are a few of her questions lately. Notice that most of them have to do with our use and assignation of words.
"Why do we have sinks?"
"Why are they called shirts?"
"Why do we have cheese?"
"What is a moth?" and similarly, "What is an ant?"
"Why do we call them Vitamins?"
"Why do we call this soap?"
And tonight - my favorite, though in no way a Why question:
"Can we go to Ciza's PiPi?"
then, on the way home, "Why do we call them cars?"
I have to mention that Patrick did an excellent job describing the evolution of the word "car" from "carriage". I have been using the answer "They made up the words for things long before I was around" instead of answering to the best of my ability - time to brush up on my Latin!
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment