Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hello Dolly

Ok. I have been reading blogs and news articles about Hurricane Dolly, and STILL, even after Katrina in 2005, many people refuse to leave their homes and seek shelter when a hurricane is projected to hit their area.

I have to ASK: Why?!?

It dumbfounds me. Do they really think they can save their homes and possessions by staying put? Are their earthly possessions so valuable that they would be willing to risk their very lives to try to protect them? Or do they really just think that if I pretend it's not coming, it will blow the other way? I know staying in a hotel can be expensive, and staying in a shelter is not convenient or comfortable. And after Katrina, we can wonder if shelters are any safer than staying at home. But still - do something. Anything. Get out of the way. We have radar, superdoppler, satellite imaging. We can be prepared and be safe. Why don't people take care of themselves?

Anyway, just a friendly reminder for anyone on the East Coast or South - get your 3 day emergency supply kits ready and keep your gas tanks more than half full. Your lives may depend on it.

No comments: