Monday, September 17, 2007

Laney's Hair


People who have known us for some time will occasionally ask me who Laney looks like. I guess she doesn't look like Patrick nor me. She DOES look like Mia, though people forget what Mia looked like at age one.

Anyway, here's a breakdown as far as I can tell. Of course Laney looks like Laney (for you, Dad), but some of her characteristics can be traced to one or another family member.

Her hair is a strawberry blond right now (summer) - She gets this mostly from her Aunt Patty, but also from me, Laura (I was born with red hair), from her Great Great Aunt Betty, her Great Grandaddy Newton, and her biological Grandmother Phyllis.

Her nose is turned up slightly and pointed on the end just like her uncle Neil, though she has her daddy's nostrils. (Can you believe I'm drawing and quartering her this way? Me neither.)

Her eyes get moony and squinty when she grins just like her daddy, and she has the same Volpe diastema (also shared by me and her Marme, but ours have been hidden via braces, veneers, and other dental magic.)

She has two swirls in her hair, and I have no idea where that comes from, but I think perhaps her Grandaddy Martin has those as well, or perhaps it's from GrandMary, somehow via osmosis from kisses. She swears it makes hairstyling much more difficult. For now, it just gives her a mowhawkish / receding hairline look. When she was a very small baby, she looked a bit like a Kewpie doll due to this.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Laura, you're so weird - I love it. Love you, too, Miss Laney - all parts, from all people. :) Love Aunt Amanda