
Well, we just inadvertently tested our very old surge suppressor. This was used in our kitchen to plug in all sorts of things, from the phone to the clock radio, to mixers when we need them. It also happens to have been attached to the wall just below some hooks, buckets, and other holders for pens, keys, and other "junk drawer" items. Since we don't have a drawer at all in our kitchen, we use this system the previous owners set up (for now).
Well, at least we DID.
Today I was throwing dirty clothes down into the basement, and when I shut the door, I knocked an old keyring off a hook that had been hanging just directly above the surge suppressor. One of the metal key ring accessories managed to land just between the outlet and the plug that was plugged into the outlet. After a pop! and the smell of hot electricity, I realized what had happened and unplugged the surge suppressor, and then removed the items from the suppressor.
Guess we'll have to figure out a new system. But for now, I'm just happy I didn't burn the house down.
(I have to add this note: According to my dad, a 3 prong outlet was designed to face upside-down: with the ground plug on the top. This example is exactly why they were designed this way. Unfortunately, hardly anyone installs them this way, and our surge suppressor was not facing this way. It was hanging with the label upright, looking like a smiley.)
UPDATE: Turns out the surge suppressor didn't work. The circuit breaker is what kept our house from burning down. Thank God for Circuit Breakers. :)
Oh a happier note, here are some fun pictures from this past week.




No comments:
Post a Comment