
So, one day last week, I was picking up Mia from preschool, and just like any other day, I was chatting with other moms and picker-uppers at the playground. This conversation (if you can call it that) really got me fired up however.
It began innocently enough. She asked me if I "got the baby yet". (Yes, in those terms.) So, I said Yes, even though I was wearing her in the Baby Bjorn carrier (duh.), and I continued, saying she was 4 weeks old and was born on the 13th. She said, "Which month?" (duh again.) "October". She smiled thinly - "Oh, and it's a girl? 3 girls huh?" Then a pause with pursed lips. "Well, I guess you'd better have a double ceremony then." "3 Girls is Bad Luck...AND she's born on October 13th." (What?!?!)
I looked at her a little funny and said "Oh, because she was born on the 13th? I don't really worry about that too much. Though, I guess one day her birthday will be on a Friday and then we can have a Freaky Friday party." (I thought she'd laugh. She didn't."
She went on about how where she was from they believed bad luck would fall upon the family if they had 3 girls. I understand about the October 13th, but the 3 girls thing I just don't get. And it irked me.

3 comments:
What a moron! Seriously, I have come to the conclusion lately that most people are just inconsiderate and thoughtless. I think I hear about twice a day how huge my belly is and people wonder aloud how my body could possibly grow any bigger come March. Its really hard to smile and be gracious so Im proud of you for taking the high road.
Hmmm....how about: "Oh really? Well, where I'm from we keep the bit^$es chained to a tree in the back." Teehee.
But I'm proud of you for holding your tongue. Of course, I would only THINK that...I would never have the nerve to actually say it.
Somehow I missed this post earlier. Oh, could we swap some stories! I get "better you than me" and "is that one a boy too?" and "are you going to keep trying for a girl?"...I think some folks just think with their mouths open...
Post a Comment