Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shoe Shopping for Xtra Wide Feet


As a child, I always hated it that I couldn't wear all the cute shoes that my friends had. Why? I had NARROW feet, and had to wear something that Stride Rite carried. Period. They didn't have as many varieties in shoes back then, and they DEFINITELY didn't have VANS in narrow sizes. (-the cool shoes I wanted that just never worked out for me)

So, here I am a mom of two daughters, and am faced with the same dilemma, only my girls have Extra Wide feet. Mia especially. As their feet get longer, the variety of girls shoes available in wide sizes, and especially in Extra Wide sizes diminishes drastically, leaving us with about 3-4 styles of shoes to choose from. So far, it hasn't been too much of a problem, as we can find school shoes and sneakers and a pair or two for Sunday School. Thanks to Payless, Stride Rite, New Balance, and Jumping Jacks.

HOWEVER, this week we are looking for strappy dress sandals for Mia to wear in a wedding, and there just aren't any! Not one pair that comes in Wide. So, it's either the standard MaryJane in patent leather or a modified Mary Jane in patent leather.

Poor Mia was devastated when she tried to pry her feet into the dyable rhinestone accented dress sandal that would go perfectly with her dress, and she just couldn't get them on. (Going up a size is not an option, as she has long feet for her age as well.)

It was then that I realized that those with wide feet have it worse than those with narrow feet, because all that would happen to me if a shoe didn't fit was that it was loose all over and might fall off. People with wide feet may not be able to even get them on in the first place. At least I can empathize with her when she wants the "Cool shoes" of the season and it just doesn't work out. Poor thing.

No comments: