Friday, June 6, 2008

Odds and Ends

A few quick odds and ends I want to share:

First, I made these two-sided capes for the girls. And I'm very proud of them. SuperMia and SuperLaney aren't exactly as excited as I am, but still. They're awesome, if I do say so myself.












Second, I love my minivan. Today I had both girls in the car, the dry cleaning (two HUGE bags - both sides of the car), an umbrella stroller and a double stroller, two huge pieces of lumber, a new scroll saw, a few new outfits for each of the girls, and a few grocery items. Just call it Laura's Ark.

And third, we had a mighty storm earlier in the week (Wednesday) that knocked down power lines, a tree or two, and several large branches (not in our yard, but in the neighborhood). The afternoon of the worst of it, they had just announced that hail was expected when I realized that I had left the van outside, and should probably move it into the garage. Of course the minute I got my raincoat, boots, and keys, a huge CRACK of thunder/lightning struck and I quickly decided to let the car suffer. It was a good thing, too, because not 30 minutes later we were all in the basement due to a Tornado Warning and green skies. No tornado materialized, but I sure was glad we had our 3 day emergency supply kit in the basement. Oh, and since then, we have had our water go out three times for a few hours at our house. Again, we're so thankful we have an emergency supply of water. Do you? :)

UPDATE 3:48pm: Make that 4 times, the water just went out again. Ugh.

3 comments:

Cerissa said...

Laura you are some kind of supermom. Not only are you cool enough to actually make stuff for your kids(those capes rock!!) but you are also super prepared as well. I am ashamed to admit I do not have any kind of emergency stash, well except for chocolate, in my house. I am going to get my butt in gear now though and get one set up. Good Job!!

Debbie said...

I love, love, love the capes! You are so talented...try selling some on ebay! My boys would love them!

Amanda said...

The emergency food stash is an excellent idea and I need to do that ASAP. We've had to hide in our basement due to weather a few times this year as well. The booze in our bar probably isn't the best food item to consume in an emergency!!! Now afterwards, if our house has fallen down...maybe then! LOL!