Monday, June 2, 2008

The Call of the Brownie...


So, I'm sitting here in a quiet house, the kiddos are taking their naps upstairs, and all I can think about is the dish of brownies that are calling me from the kitchen. I'm not supposed to have dessert in the afternoon - it's the equivalent of eating bonbons and watching soaps in my bathrobe!

But that is all I crave, all I can think about.

Forget the 2000 weeds I pulled this morning, or my new early-morning-run-with-Margaret regime, never mind the 12 hostas I repositioned this morning or the huge rotting train track beams I scooted about the yard, the poison ivy I valiantly battled. The evil brownie will destroy all that in about 2 minutes! The brownie is off limits. Just say no - right? Ugh - I can still hear it. I want it. As badly as Laney wants what she wants when she wants it. (She's nearing 2. Me? much older.) Perhaps I need to package them up and send them to work with Patrick tomorrow.

So, my other stay-at-home-mom friends: How do you resist the daily temptations to raid the fridge/pantry?

Oh, and the picture? This is Mia's Sea Life Wave, which includes the infamous "fish print" mentioned in the Busy Month blog below...

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Me? I just ate a piece of cheesecake (it was very small, does that still count?). Check out the recipe for the banana chocolate chip muffins from my blog, they are really yummy and only 1 or 2 grams of fat.

Cerissa said...

Um..I dont resist the temptation. That is why I am 20(ha!) lbs overweight :) Ive started to buy the 100 calorie packages of fugde stripe cookies and will snack on one of those to get both my sugar and my cookie fix. Hey sometimes us moms need the kind of medication that only chocolate can provide!

Tim Martin said...

Am I allowed to comment? As a "stuck at a conference, bored Dad"? Is that allowed?

I have a new theory on health... It's called, "You can eat anything you make yourself."

So the brownies, provided they were made from scratch, would be completely allowed. (The 100 calorie packs would be off limits.)

Somehow, the making of the item leads to an appreciation of it. It also requires some effort.

My anecdotal proof is that I've lost a bunch of weight, and it's somewhat related to this theory. I do eat 4 cookies every night (but I made them).

Takoma Volpe said...

Tim, I have to say I like your idea. Too bad for me, the brownies were Betty Crocker :(

Do you care to share your complete weight loss secrets? You look great!

Amanda said...

I have to agree with Cerissa - the 100 calorie fudge stripe cookies are a staple at my house as well!

Jules said...

Did I read that right Laura? You have started a morning run routine? If that's the case, I say occasionally let yourself have the brownie, then run it off :)